photo Jane Richmond_zpsux4wawxl.png

Monday, January 4, 2016

Off the Needles /// Quarry Arika


Happy New Year!!!

I finished this little project before the Christmas holidays but didn't manage to blog about it. I know what you're thinking... another Arika Cowl? Really? I know. It's just that Arika is one of those projects (a bit like the Linden Mittens) where once you've completed it, you're just dying to try it out in other yarns. To date I've made two in Hikoo (one bright, one neutral), one in Cascade Eco, and this newly completed version in Quarry.

This was my first time knitting with Brooklyn Tweed's new bulky yarn Quarry. The plumpness of the yarn creates a squishy, stable fabric that provides fullness and structure to the finished cowl. Quarry also creates the best fringe! I wasn't able to complete the project with just one skein however I'd bought two skeins and wasn't really trying to. From the first skein I was able to eek out the entire cowl + 36 tassels with the last 10g. I dipped into the second skein to make the last of the tassels which required 26g. You could probably squeeze this project out of just one skein by either 1) omitting the fringe (gasp!); 2) slightly reducing the length; or 3) reducing the width by one repeat of the stitch pattern.

I used the Moonstone colourway to provide a closer comparison between the two other versions.


{ from left to right: Hikoo, Eco, Quarry }

. . .

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday filled with family, friends, food and lots of love. 
...now that gift knitting deadlines have officially passed, what's on your needles? 


7 comments:

  1. I saw your tu e socks for kids on another blog and now I want to make a pair for me as a test pair and then for for my great niece and nephew who are teenagers. Have you used the pattern for larger sizes? I've knit other socks using five needles and had 16 stitches on each of four needles. As 16 would be an increase from your pattern, I thought I'd ask you but couldn't find an email addrss. I would really appreciate your thoughts. Also, I read the post about "the after heel" but looked for a pattern on your site using that but didn't find one. Sometime I want to do the sweater named Clarke (I think that was the name for the striped one). Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary—I'm so sorry you weren't able to find an email address to contact me! Here is my direct email for pattern support: janerichmonddesigns@gmail.com. I'm always happy to answer pattern questions!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jane! I absolutely love this cowl. So unique and inspired. I especially love the Hikoo. Ugh...so perfect. BTW, has anyone ever told you that you could pass for Twiggy circa 1964? Pretty, pretty. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you love the cowl! I'm so in love with it, it makes me happy that it's being well received :) ...and THANK you!!! That is such a high compliment, oh my, Twiggy is SO gorgeous! You're too sweet.

      Delete